I am always on the lookout for easy-to-make and quick meals especially the ones that are healthy for my family. This is a refreshing salad that is full of goodness. Beets are a GREAT source of fiber, antioxidants, protein and many other components that are good for your health according to research of Healthline, 2017. The benefits of beets are impressive. Beets are a big part of Ukrainian cuisine and my mom prepared us many different types of dishes with beets when my brother and I were little. She taught me many of the recipes and this is one of them.
Scrumptious Beet Salad
- Large pot
- 5-6 Medium beets I prefer to get organic when possible.
- 1/2 Fresh onion chopped You can also use frozen chopped onions.
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- 3-4 tbsp Mayonnaise Add 2-3 spoons, then add more to taste.
- Cut leafs and stems from beets, wash the beets with skin on.
- Cover the beets with water in a large pot and boil them until soft (until they are fork tender) – about 45-60 minutes depending on your beet size.
- Take out the beets from water, cool them and peel off the skin with a knife.
- With 1 tablespoon of olive oil, fry onions in a skillet until golden brown, add more oil if needed.
- With a regular size grater, grate all beets. Since the beets get soft when boiling, this is a pretty quick process.
- To the bowl of grated beets, add fried onions, salt and mayonnaise. Chill the salad or devour now!
Please comment your thoughts below!
Our posts may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you will not pay a penny extra. But, we will get a small commission for referring you to the site, which helps to keep the website running. Thanks!
Yana, thank you for sharing this recipe! I also bake beets wrapped in the foil for the salads. They don’t need too much space in the oven and can fit while something else is baking.
Hello Olya! Nice to hear from you! I did not see your comment until now for some reason. I am sorry for a late reply. I have never baked beets, would you mind sharing if you cut them, how long you bake them for and the degrees in the oven? Thank you for reading!